The Federal Government has finalized plans to sell a large estate, previously linked to former Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele, to Nigerians in the low and middle-income brackets.
The expansive estate, comprising 753 housing units, was recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in December 2024. Spanning over 150,000 square metres and featuring a range of duplexes and apartment types, the property is reportedly the largest single asset recovered by the agency since its establishment in 2003.
The recovery followed a final forfeiture order issued on December 2, 2024, by Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja.
Court filings by the EFCC linked the estate directly to Emefiele. In April 2025, the former CBN governor challenged the forfeiture in an FCT High Court, alleging that the proceedings were conducted without his knowledge, despite ongoing interactions with the EFCC over separate charges. His request to reclaim the property was dismissed by the court.
On May 20, 2025, EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede formally handed over the 753-unit estate to the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Ahmed Dangiwa.
According to the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Ministry of Housing, Badamasi Haiba, the government intends to ensure that the estate benefits everyday Nigerians in line with President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda. He confirmed that construction on the estate was still underway and that assessments would be conducted to evaluate the structural integrity before moving forward with sales and allocations.
“We will begin by profiling the housing units and determining the sale framework. The minister aims to promote homeownership across all income levels, especially for low- and middle-income earners,” Haiba explained.
He added that the ministry’s official web portal, renewedhopehomes.fmhud.gov.ng, would be used to manage the sales process and ensure transparency. Multiple flexible payment options, such as mortgage plans, instalment payments, and rent-to-own schemes, would be made available.
“These 753 units are just a part of a larger effort. The ministry currently has over 10,000 houses across the country nearing completion under the Renewed Hope Housing Programme,” he said.
When asked when the portal would open for applications, Haiba clarified that sales would not commence until construction and evaluations are completed. He also dismissed rumors that the houses would be secretly allocated to government insiders.
“People may speculate based on past experiences, but this administration is focused on transparency and fairness. The portal eliminates human interference, allowing any Nigerian to log in, choose a unit, pick a payment method, submit their application, and receive an offer—all from the comfort of their home,” he said.